The Princess Theatre in Torquay is a prominent and historic entertainment venue located on Torbay Road, overlooking Torquay’s stunning seafront. It has a rich heritage and has been an integral part of the local cultural scene since its opening in 1961. The theatre’s architecture is notable for its distinctive white facade, which stands out among the surrounding buildings.
The Princess Theatre has a seating capacity of approximately 1,500, making it one of the largest theatres in the South West of England. It hosts a diverse range of performances throughout the year, including musicals, plays, comedy shows, dance performances, concerts, and more. Renowned artists, touring productions, and local talent frequently grace the stage, providing audiences with a vibrant and varied program.
The theatre’s interior is designed to offer excellent sightlines and acoustics, ensuring an immersive and enjoyable experience for every visitor. Its spacious auditorium and comfortable seating arrangements contribute to the overall ambience, making it an ideal venue for both intimate and grand-scale productions.
In addition to its theatrical offerings, the Princess Theatre also serves as a venue for community events, conferences, and educational programs. It plays a significant role in nurturing local talent, hosting workshops, and providing opportunities for aspiring performers to showcase their skills.
The theatre is conveniently located within close proximity to various amenities, including restaurants, bars, and hotels, making it easily accessible for both locals and tourists alike. Our bed and breakfast is located just a 5-minute drive or 15-minute walk away. Its picturesque seaside location adds to its appeal, allowing visitors to enjoy the beautiful surroundings before or after attending a performance.
Whether you are a fan of musicals, theatre, or live entertainment in general, the Princess Theatre in Torquay offers a captivating and enriching experience. With its diverse program, comfortable facilities, and commitment to showcasing talent from near and far, it continues to be a beloved cultural hub in the heart of Torbay.
General Information about The Princess Theatre
- The Princess Theatre is located on Torbay Road in Torquay. Postal Code TQ2 5EZ. There is ample parking nearby in either the Sheddon Hill or Fleet Walk car parks plus limited parking available on the road. Access Parking spaces now have a dropped curb in close proximity to the Theatre for easier access
- Torquay train station is located along the seafront, about a 20-minute walk from the theatre.
- There are bus stops on Torbay road, about a 3-minute walk from the theatre.
- There are 4 wheelchair spaces for customers who have to remain in their wheelchairs throughout the show.
- There is a Café/Bar/Bistro linked to the theatre, which is fully accessible to the disabled and wheelchair users.
- The theatre has an Infrared hearing system installed. You can ask for a headset at the sweet kiosk in the foyer which is available for a refundable £5 deposit
- Guide, hearing and other working dogs are welcome in all parts of the theatre.
- The toilets can be found in the main foyer, through the double-swing doors. The toilets are easily accessible through any of the exits and anywhere near the café and wheelchair spaces.
If you are visiting the Princess Theatre from out of town and need a lovely place to stay after your show, make sure to book your accommodation at Melba House B&B which is in close proximity to the theatre. We look forward to hearing from you before your next trip to The Princess Theatre in Torquay!